Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM

Calisto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
What is the "Nordic Battle Group"? Navy or Army or combined arms?
Not sure on that either....but the name sounds very intimidating.

Last edited by Calisto; 11-01-2007 at 02:28 PM..
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Senior Alizée Fan

SwedishFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your spelling is fine (especially if English isn't your 2nd language!) I wish you luck, and hope you stay warm this winter ( ) during training! What is the "Nordic Battle Group"? Navy or Army or combined arms?

Ed

Within the EU, Sweden has assumed responsibility for coordinating the Nordic Battle Group, one of the rapid response units now being established by EU member countries. These rapid response units will form one of several important instruments in the EU’s crisis management capability and the instrument that can be deployed the quickest.

For the Swedish Armed Forces, this undertaking means that effective 1 January 2008, together with Estonia, Finland, Ireland and Norway, we will have a rapid response force of at least 1,500 soldiers ready for immediate action.

Depending on the nature of the mission, additional resources can be added, so called enablers, consisting of e.g. air power and special units. Altogether, the unit will be made up of around 2,800 soldiers. Sweden will provide some 2,300, Finland 200, Norway 150, Ireland 80 and Estonia around 50. Strategic military command of the force will be in coordination with Great Britain.

Modular structure
The Nordic Battle Group is under Swedish command. Sweden also has principal responsibility for the nucleus of the unit, a mobile light infantry battalion. The other countries will primarily provide combat support and logistics functions. The battalion will be supported by a framework of resources including logistics, artillery, anti-aircraft defence and intelligence units. Strategic and operative resources will also be available as needed, such as air power, naval power and special units.

First on the scene
The rapid response unit is to take part in EU crisis management operations in the initial and often most difficult phase. For a limited period, the unit should be able to handle tasks on the entire conflict scale, from humanitarian aid to armed combat. However tasks will always be commensurate with the limited size of the force.

Constant stand by
According to the EU Battle Group concept, two rapid response units at a time are to be on constant stand by. In parallel with the Nordic Battle Group a Spanish unit will be on stand by for six months from 1 January 2008. Forces on stand by are to be ready to be deployed in conflict areas within ten days of the decision to take action. Initially the area of deployment will be within a 6,000 km radius of Brussels. Missions are to last up to 30 days but can be extended to 120 days if necessary.

Always a fan,,no matter what...BTW thanks Marik...

Last edited by SwedishFan; 11-01-2007 at 03:00 PM..
Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM

Runner Simon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishFan View Post
Within the EU, Sweden has assumed responsibility for coordinating the Nordic Battle Group, one of the rapid response units now being established by EU member countries. These rapid response units will form one of several important instruments in the EU’s crisis management capability and the instrument that can be deployed the quickest.

For the Swedish Armed Forces, this undertaking means that effective 1 January 2008, together with Estonia, Finland, Ireland and Norway, we will have a rapid response force of at least 1,500 soldiers ready for immediate action.

Depending on the nature of the mission, additional resources can be added, so called enablers, consisting of e.g. air power and special units. Altogether, the unit will be made up of around 2,800 soldiers. Sweden will provide some 2,300, Finland 200, Norway 150, Ireland 80 and Estonia around 50. Strategic military command of the force will be in coordination with Great Britain.

Modular structure
The Nordic Battle Group is under Swedish command. Sweden also has principal responsibility for the nucleus of the unit, a mobile light infantry battalion. The other countries will primarily provide combat support and logistics functions. The battalion will be supported by a framework of resources including logistics, artillery, anti-aircraft defence and intelligence units. Strategic and operative resources will also be available as needed, such as air power, naval power and special units.

First on the scene
The rapid response unit is to take part in EU crisis management operations in the initial and often most difficult phase. For a limited period, the unit should be able to handle tasks on the entire conflict scale, from humanitarian aid to armed combat. However tasks will always be commensurate with the limited size of the force.

Constant stand by
According to the EU Battle Group concept, two rapid response units at a time are to be on constant stand by. In parallel with the Nordic Battle Group a Spanish unit will be on stand by for six months from 1 January 2008. Forces on stand by are to be ready to be deployed in conflict areas within ten days of the decision to take action. Initially the area of deployment will be within a 6,000 km radius of Brussels. Missions are to last up to 30 days but can be extended to 120 days if necessary.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Runner Simon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your spelling is fine (especially if English is your 2nd language!) I wish you luck, and hope you stay warm this winter ( ) during training! What is the "Nordic Battle Group"? Navy or Army or combined arms?

Ed
Whell with my gear and so I think I can face anything :P and yes english is my 2nd language.

Last edited by Runner Simon; 11-01-2007 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Minor grammatic wrongs that I corrected
Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentFox View Post
So really for us we have a military but we mostly go out to wars and try to stop them in a good way
And lest we forget, the "good way" to end a war against those who wish to kill and enslave us (and others) is to...well....kill them first. And I can say with some level of authority, the Canadians are very good at helping us end wars in a "good way" (efficient too....damn good snipers).

In fact, Canada has a long tradition of being on the "front lines" of wars, often before we Americans were there. They were defending the Skies over Britian in WWII years before we were involved. They were hitting the beaches of Normandy in '44. And yes, as you noted, they are kicking butt in Afganistan today.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:23 PM
world traveler

kilroy is on a distinguished road

328x3 (Electronic Warfare Technician)

30nov83-14jan84 Lackland
15jan84-29nov84 Keesler
30nov84-31aug87 Castle
3 months terminal leave to finish up active duty 30nov87 & two years inactive reserve. Honorably discharged on 30nov89.

Stories? Too many. Watching a n00b not follow procedure & jam the tower with touch-n-goes in progress, the occasional testing the LOX, listening to Radio Moscow on the headsets.
As castle was a school for Buff crews, we'd get classes of butterbars touring the maintenance shop periodically & while I had an intimate knowledge of how & why the ECM equipment worked, it was cool to listen to the instructor (major or light bird) telling the student EWOs how they actually used the equipment (being actively engaged) during sorties in 'Nam.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
328x3 (Electronic Warfare Technician)

30nov83-14jan84 Lackland
15jan84-29nov84 Keesler
30nov84-31aug87 Castle
3 months terminal leave to finish up active duty 30nov87 & two years inactive reserve. Honorably discharged on 30nov89.

Stories? Too many. Watching a n00b not follow procedure & jam the tower with touch-n-goes in progress, the occasional testing the LOX, listening to Radio Moscow on the headsets.
As castle was a school for Buff crews, we'd get classes of butterbars touring the maintenance shop periodically & while I had an intimate knowledge of how & why the ECM equipment worked, it was cool to listen to the instructor (major or light bird) telling the student EWOs how they actually used the equipment (being actively engaged) during sorties in 'Nam.
While I try to stay up on the jargon, perhaps you could elucidate for me "LOX"? I don't recognize that acronim....

"Butterbars" = What rank in the Air Force? In the Navy I believe you would be refering to "Lieutenant Junior Grade" (0-2) ((Ensign = 0-1)), is this correct?

Buff = ?

Thanks for your input!

Ed

To SwedishFan - Thanks, that was a very concise explanation! Much appreciated!

Ed

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience
Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 PM
world traveler

kilroy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While I try to stay up on the jargon, perhaps you could elucidate for me "LOX"? I don't recognize that acronim....

"Butterbars" = What rank in the Air Force? In the Navy I believe you would be refering to "Lieutenant Junior Grade" (0-2) ((Ensign = 0-1)), is this correct?

Buff = ?

Thanks for your input!

Ed

To SwedishFan - Thanks, that was a very concise explanation! Much appreciated!

Ed
LOX = Liquid Oxygen. A brief shot of it & you're head's clear as a bell
Correct, a butterbar is a USAF 2nd Lt. (O-1)

Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Buff = ?
The Colloquial name for B-52 bomber.
G rated acronymn: Big Ugly Fat Fellow.
R rated acronymn: Big Ugly Fat Fakir
Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
The Colloquial name for B-52 bomber.
G rated acronymn: Big Ugly Fat Fellow.
R rated acronymn: Big Ugly Fat Fakir
AHHH! YOU GOT ME! A touch, i do confess, I fear i breath my last! Ohhhh man, i kinda had the feeling I shouldn't have antagonized the Ogre!

Ed

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience