Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-06-2006, 03:15 AM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

You need to go to Youtube.com and see the video.. she clearly says ah-lee-zeeee into a microphone. You quoted everyone but Alizee herself saying her name, lol. Here's the link...

told ya!!! Here's another link of a different video, i think she said ah-lee- zay in this one, lol

She says her name both ways!!!!

Last edited by Matrix; 07-06-2006 at 03:27 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 AM
cybersoil

Thumbs up

Don't care how the video say's it. I know it's, "Zay" from first-hand knowledge. She probably just supresses the "Zay" when she says it. But... say it any way you like.

The second "e" is added to make the name feminine and is not pronounced. The first "e" has the french "accent aigu" over it, making it an "A" sound, as in "ZAY."

-Cybersoil

Last edited by cybersoil; 07-06-2006 at 06:03 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 AM

scameter is on a distinguished road

It's really more of a matter of personal opinion and pronunciation ability, as well as proper following of the French language. The syntax for a word will not always be perfect, nor continuous with an individual.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:09 AM
cybersoil

Thumbs up

Matrix:
You quoted everyone but Alizee herself saying her name.
---------------------------------------------------
You're right, she didn't say it once but she didn't have to, everyone already knows who she is. One of the benefits (or downfalls) of being famous, I guess.

- Cybersoil

Last edited by cybersoil; 07-06-2006 at 06:15 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 AM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

I know the video he is talking about .. it does sound like she is saying 'zeee'. In fact, I can think of several occasions where she tends to say her name 'ah-lee-zee'.

However, the proper way to say it is 'ah-lee-zay', I am sure of that (especially for a dumb american).

Last edited by brad; 07-06-2006 at 09:06 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm awesome, u know it

Spartan500 is on a distinguished road

or it sounds like she makes the zay short
Old 07-06-2006, 05:32 PM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Why would Alizee pronounce her name with the ZEEE, knowing that the proper way to say her name is ZAAAAY, why would she do that?

And we are not just talking about a word, no rather we are talking about someones given name, their birth name!

And when I hear the actual bearer of that name pronouncing it a certain way, well there you go, voila!

Like scameter said, Alizee has a personal opinion on pronunciation and her ability to speak is unique as it is in all of us, and on that particular day Alizee chose to pronounce her name a certain way into that microphone.

Alizee you confused me, you tease!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

I think you are looking at it too closely. You are an english speaker focusing on one syllable of a French word.

For example. If a girl is named 'Andrea' you wouldn't be confused by someone saying 'Ann-drea' as opposed to 'Ahhn-drea'

That is how I see it anyway.

Last edited by brad; 07-06-2006 at 06:02 PM..
Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm awesome, u know it

Spartan500 is on a distinguished road

that sounds about right brad
Old 07-07-2006, 03:04 AM

scameter is on a distinguished road

I agree brad. And, matrix, my point with saying that is that she is not perfect, and wouldn't always pronounce her name as it should be pronounced by the grammar of the French language. I am an English speaker, and yet I pronounce many names that are most likely done so incorrectly. And, it is also a matter of dialect; remember, she is Corsican, not French. She is speaking French, which indeed may be the language of Corsica as well, but she would have a different dialect than those of France, just as someone from England would speak differently than someone from America, and even someone from the North or the South or West America. It is really quite interesting to me personally, as I have a keen interest in philology, but it's really no more than that.