Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 AM

kdn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
I've provided the statistics that do mean something: webpages, forum members, forum posts, etc. And those all show things as I've said: Internet "popularity" about equal, if not in Mylene's favor.
Like I said, those statistic can be affected by spam bots. If you think traffic stats can be generated by bots, why not those?

Quote:
if even a fraction of the people who own a Mylene album and a fraction of the people who own an Alizée one go online, then the numbers are far in Mylene's favor.
What do you mean "If"? It doesn't happen.
That's why it has been all about the internet from the beginning.

Quote:
BUT... I already have accepted this point multiple times:

"Sure, but as I said 75% of those just know the JEAM dance."
The first time I ask for prove. Do you have any prove?

Beside, they don't search for "JEAM", it's "alizee" they are searching for.
Quote:
"knowing does not equal popularity.
Popularity = # of fans."[/I]
Ok, I have already said I put it in another way: there are more geeks know about Alizée.
Quote:
It's not about facts versus feelings. I do think those traffic stats are wrong because I've worked on alizee-forum for four years and know. But that doesn't matter.
Yeah, maybe you are right. And that doesn't matter, people search for her, visit the site, find something to download or watch a video... then leave. But they must know her name is alizee to search for it, don't they? And maybe that's why the statistic is high but there aren't many registered members. About Mylene, there is nothing free to download, not even a picture for wikipedia.
Quote:
I never doubted the Google Trends. Sure, more people may be searching for Alizée, it's just that that doesn't matter! As I keep saying, it's not an indication of popularity, fanbase, or anything important.
5 guys know about Alizée, 4 out of them have no idea who Mylène is. And you said it doesn't important.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdn View Post
Like I said, those statistic can be affected by spam bots. If you think traffic stats can be generated by bots, why not those?
Because I read and/or moderate the forums, so know when they are and when they're not (and certainly in the post count stats, since any spam gets deleted). Besides, both sides get spam bots, so it shouldn't affect the comparison... The exception being that issue I mentioned with the fanpage. That was serious and unusual, and almost led to us having to shut down.

Quote:
What do you mean "If"? It doesn't happen.
That's why it has been all about the internet from the beginning.
As I said (might have missed it cause it was a late edit): "Not to bring real-life into this too much, because I know it's just about the internet, but seriously we're talking about an artist who has sold over 20 millions albums and plays 15,000 seat areans versus one who's sold less than a tenth that and plays to crowds of a few thousand. Some of that is going to be reflected online."

Quote:
The first time I ask for prove. Do you have any prove?
Beside, they don't search for "JEAM", it's "alizee" they are searching for.
I didn't mean literally. I meant they're the people who look at a pic or vid or two and then go away.

Quote:
Ok, I have already said I put it in another way: there are more geeks know about Alizée.
Yeah, but who cares?

Quote:
Yeah, maybe you are right. And that doesn't matter, people search for her, visit the site, find something to download or watch a video... then leave. But they must know her name is alizee to search for it, don't they? And maybe that's why the statistic is high but there aren't many registered members. About Mylene, there is nothing free to download, not even a picture for wikipedia.
Right.

Quote:
5 guys know about Alizée, 4 out of them have no idea who Mylène is. And you said it doesn't important.
And how many of them have bought a CD? Would consider going to a concert? Read a forum, or post on one? Even just once. How many do anything other than look at a pic or video and then leave? Every one who does is worth 100 of those other guys.

And that's who we should be counting.
That's who my numbers have been trying to give a sense of.

Also, not a single French person would know Alizée but not Mylene... though the opposite could be true.

The short version:
Yes, I'm sure more people have seen Alizée online, but in terms of fans Mylene has just as many, if not more. And that, to me, is real popularity.

Last edited by Ben; 05-29-2007 at 08:42 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 AM

Maybe this isn't a good statistic, but I'll post it because a lot of people know about youtube:

Mylenes' videos on Youtube: the most viewed has 110,883 views.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_category=0

Alizée: one vid has 2,118,242 views.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_category=0

Quote:
The short version:
Yes, I'm sure more people have seen Alizée online, but in terms of fans Mylene has just as many, if not more. And that, to me, is real popularity.
Well, they don't accidentally see her. They care enough to search for her name. In terms of well known, Alizée is way more than Mylène. And that's all I'm trying to say.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alizée: one vid has 2,118,242 views.
Yeah, about 2mil of those were just to check out her rear. Seriously. Don't underestimate how much that sort of thing drives the internet. But Mylene escapes it more than Alizée.

And a YouTube video is very easy to watch, so that's exactly the type of statistic I mean: sure more people have seen one or two, but that's diddly squat if it's all they do, which is the case for many.

Also getting back to an earlier point, it's important to keep in mind that YouTube is primarily an American based site. It's used far less in France for any subject.

If you look at a site which is more common there, such DailyMotion, the view counts are much closer and there are twice as many Mylene videos as Alizée ones.

Now yes France is not the whole internet, but you can't ignore it either, especially when talking about two French artists. There's more international Alizée stuff, but more French Mylene. Take them together and it balances out.

Last edited by Ben; 05-29-2007 at 09:06 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
And a YouTube video is very easy to watch, so that's exactly the type of statistic I mean: sure more people have seen one or two, but that's diddly squat if it's all they do, which is the case for many.
No, that's not all they do. They has been searching for "alizee" for years.

Quote:
Take them together and it balances out.
Does it?
The search statistic is for the whole internet (France and the world), and it shows that Lili is being searched many times more than Mylene. I don't think 5/1 and 20/1 are balances.

The numbers are right there, what else do you need?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

dang you guys still at it? don't you guys sleep...

just agree to disagree and lets move on...
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

It's kind of silly to be making the comparison at this point anyway. Mylène is at the peak of her career or perhaps a bit past the peak; Alizée has barely started, and her career prior to taking this long break was entirely in partnership with Mylène. There will be no way to make a realistic appraisal -- if you want to do something as silly as compare the two in the first place -- for at least another year.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 05-29-2007, 10:48 AM

Actually I do agree with him that Mylene has more fans.

But, Alizée is more well known.
(I'm not talking about fans, as I stated from the beginning: fans and non-fans)

@Deepwaters: we're not talking about their career. But you're right, comparing their career, one young and one not very young, is silly.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Just got to add one other thing here, anyone who thinks Mylène Farmer isn't a hot babe any more just because she's in her 40s needs glasses. Good grief!

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

hehe..shes hot in her own way, but i would think she's much hotter if i didn't have this association of mylene with linda cohn, the ESPN sportscenter anchor...

do you notice the resembelence?

they gotta be related....