Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

If anyone wishes to subsribe to this idea that is fine by me but could i make a suggestion?
If members do really feel strongly enough about 'doing' something then why not make it simple and make an extra donation to AAm?
Running and maintaining a website is expensive and i'm sure Ben would have no objections to having a significant donation to help him out.
Without AAm we wouldn't even be discussing anything else?
How many are there who would be willing to pledge to this who don't ever donate anything to keep this site up and running? I bet there are a few?
It's about priorities i think and making sure that this site is still here in e.g. 3 years time must be at the top of the priorities list?

Last edited by Junkmale; 05-01-2010 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Friends of Alizée Jacotey Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOGT View Post
One of the reasons I suggest a scholarship be called the Alizee America, (or similar) fund is so Alizee herself does not have to be a part of it. She is busy enough to be sure.
Quote:
Sorry about the name suggestion, I was typing while you were posting Doc. And that is a good point to include all fans.
It is common enough for strangers to name awards, funds, schools and so on for illustrious people, especially if they are dead. (Of course we all hope Alizée's career is no more dead than is she!)

Here's a possible refinement addressing your anxiety:
Call it the "Friends of Alizée Jacotey Fund."

The word "Friends" is more sober than "Fans," without being as ponderous as "Admirers." What do you guys think?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:49 PM

MYGOGT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
If anyone wishes to subsribe to this idea that is fine by me but could i make a suggestion?
If members do really feel strongly enough about 'doing' something then why not make it simple and make an extra donation to AAm?
Running and maintaining a website is expensive and i'm sure Ben would have no objections to having a significant donation to help him out.
Without AAm we wouldn't even be discussing anything else?
How many are there who would be willing to pledge to this who don't ever donate anything to keep this site up and running? I bet there are a few?
It's about priorities i think and making sure that this site is still here in e.g. 3 years time must be at the top of the priorities list?
Very good point; which is why I did subscribe to the monthly donation as a thank you to this site's involvement in my receiving a signed cd.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Smile Supporting AAm, too

Quote:
...I did subscribe to the monthly donation as a thank you to this site's involvement in my receiving a signed cd.
I don't want to get off-track here, but when it came time to finally collecting the pledges, I had planned to use this Web site's PayPal merchant account as the preferred means. That will provide an appropriate time to impose a surcharge which not only thanks Ben for aggregating, currency-converting, and transmitting the funds, but ALSO eating Web site costs. Does anyone want to make a more specific surcharge suggestion?

By the way, at least one other Lili fan site hosts third-party ads for revenue. Given the substantial traffic at this site, I have suggested that Ben do likewise. One estimate puts the potential ad revenue at about US$10 daily.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Doc, after reading your response to my post, and the rest of ours, I can honestly say I have nothing left to say to you. I aways kind of looked up to you. I loved reading all the statistics you brought, the suggestions you made, pretty much everything you posted was worth reading. But after your post on the second page, wow. If you want the opinions of financal experts, go to a forum about finance. Not a forum about music. Where you know there are financially-inexperienced people. If you didn't want people like me (and obviously, you didn't) to post here, maybe you should have said so. Not posted on a PUBLIC FORUM ANYBODY, REGARDLESS OF INCOME OR AGE OR EXPERIENCE, CAN RESPOND TO. Maybe you should have said, 'VVACCPLPNLY, you have no experience, no money, you rely on your parents for everything, and your ideas are useless [all things you can't be sure of anyways], so please, this thread is not here for you. Don't read it, don't vote, don't post, anything.' That is basically the feeling you convey.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I have a question about what is a scolarship? Isn't it something that is given year after year? I worry about this forum being able to make a meaningful donation to such a fund year after year. That is why I thought it be be better to make a one time donation to a charity of her choice as I suggested earlier. Then if we can gather a good amount of pledges next year, we'll do it again.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

I am so tired of being put down for my age. But I didn't expect it here, or from you. You used to be one of my favorite people here. But you lost all the respect I had for you. And considering the biggest thing you did to gain that respect, you could NEVER regain it. I was hoping to recieve your opinion on my store idea (in the 'The ULTIMATE Fan Art' thead), but now, I ask you don't worry about it. You would probably say something completely negative, and it would degenerate from there. In fact, I even had a few offers to pay for my cd from scruffy, just as you did. And, just like you, I refused. Did you know that? Just becuase someone is 16, or 18, or 20-some, doesn't mean they are useless, lazy, cheap, a theif, a liar, a crook, a horndog, rascist, sexist, unacceptive of religious difference, stupid, ignorant, drunk, do drugs, whatever presumtions you may have based on age. People like you are the reason people like me have a bad name. I actually happen to be different, but people like you hate 'kids'.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:28 PM

MYGOGT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I have a question about what is a scolarship? Isn't it something that is given year after year? I worry about this forum being able to make a meaningful donation to such a fund year after year. That is why I thought it be be better to make a one time donation to a charity of her choice as I suggested earlier. Then if we can gather a good amount of pledges next year, we'll do it again.
This is a very good question, so I did some quick research into this and I didn't find where a Scholarship is an annual item but appears to be viewed as such.
That said I did find that a Grant is any aid given and not assumed to be annually awarded. Maybe our gift would fall into the Grant category.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:36 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdtv View Post
By the way, at least one other Lili fan site hosts third-party ads for revenue. Given the substantial traffic at this site, I have suggested that Ben do likewise. One estimate puts the potential ad revenue at about US$10 daily.
Third party ads kill sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
Just becuase someone is 16, or 18, or 20-some, doesn't mean they are useless, lazy, cheap, a theif, a liar, a crook, a horndog, rascist, sexist, unacceptive of religious difference, stupid, ignorant, drunk, do drugs, whatever presumtions you may have based on age.
No one is any less of a fan do to age, post count, time here, or any other factor. Hell even if you didn't own any of the artists albums I wouldn't consider you any less of a fan. We are here for the music. Such things as this are up to the individual, and you are no less a fan for not participating in such things. Personally I think this whole scholarship thing is silly, buy the albums or other products of said artist if you want to support the artist. If she wants a scholarship in her name she can do it by all means, but it's not up to any of us to fund such a scholarship.

my 2 cents,

Jung

Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Smile The what and why of the scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I have a question about what is a sc[h]olarship? Isn't it something that is given year after year? I worry about this forum being able to make a meaningful donation to such a fund year after year. That is why I thought it be be better to make a one time donation to a charity of her choice as I suggested earlier. Then if we can gather a good amount of pledges next year, we'll do it again.
I never suffered under any impression that a scholarship was anything more specific than financial assistance to someone studying (i.e. a student), and I've even been awarded more than one myself. What does a dictionary say? If you look <a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3ASCHOLARSHIP&aq=f &aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=">here</a> the first definition you read is <i>financial aid provided to a student on the basis of academic merit</i>.

And as a practical matter, TV programs come and go, products come and go, human lives come and go, hospitals come and go, schools come and go, nations come and go, et cetera. Scholarships come and go, too.

Because the fund posited is so small, it is surely true there is no money to pay the professional fees needed to create a foundation which would legally bind the use of the money. So what? We collect the money, reliably transfer it to the school, and express our wishes. If we don't make a pest of ourselves, don't do something to make it seem like a scam to rob the school, and basically keep it simple, I cannot imagine the school will not express the modest thanks which the gift merits.

I called it a <b>scholarship</b> fund to indicate it is for <b>student</b> aid, and <b>not for capitalization</b> of the school. Corsicans have one third the average income of people elsewhere in France. Yes, I said ONE THIRD. I'm sure Scruffy knows non-business travel and tourism are LUXURY industries, so they get hit the worst during an economic downturn. And guess what? Corsica's largest private economic sector is travel and tourism! How much worse could things be RIGHT NOW in the very part of France most dear to Alizée?

Please also remember the TV interview in which Alizée said that had she not had the chance to be in showbiz, the two other livings she might pursue are computer services and dance instruction. So funding a dance&theater school scholarship is probably something she would find most pleasing.

I would request no other constraints on use of the money other than it be used to help a promising student who needs tuition assistance. It would be up to the school to decide whether one or more students benefited, for how long, if this year or next, or whatever. Of course it would be nice to know a bit about the student(s) we might help, but that could be too much of a burden on the school, or on the privacy of the scholarship recipients and their families.

I would not be surprised if the school was happy to use our gesture as the seed for a new fundraising effort, or a brace to one already in place. If we get our ducks in a row quickly enough, we might even touch base with other Alizée fan clubs to see if they want to join us, even if not as generously on account of the <b>extraordinary</b> attention AAm got in Paris.

And I am not too coy to say that I hope the gift might be the genesis of French media coverage commercially useful to Alizée, because it reminds people of her recordings and financially calibrates the "star power" of even a half-hour of her time. A gift, say, to an animal hospital in Ajaccio is much less likely to get French entertainment TV coverage than a gift to the very professional school in Ajaccio she attended.

At this point, I would encourage interested parties who are facile in French, or at least can use Google Translate, to look over the Mufraggi school web site and maybe the City Hall web site in tiny Ajaccio. Who knows? Maybe the mayor would want to get in on the action by declaring an Alizée Day on the creation of our small fund and be part of a French TV photo-op.

Please remember that not everyone's life revolves around Alizée, much less Alizée America. I'd like the school to have the money in its hands by the end of May, meaning everyone has to pay up well before then. And even so, this would give the school ONLY a month to plan anything it might undertake for the anniversary the fund is celebrating.
Closed Thread