Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

here is my take on the lyrics from a quick listen ...

Quote:
dream always, and always (or maybe all ways)

i dont know, where im going
looking for the limelight, bright

i cant recall, where i've been
in this long long flight, night

find a way and away

i dont know, if i should
burning waves of ecstasy, oui

stares (or stairs maybe), lights, music, sweat, scares, fright, panic, threat
also, i will say the song has really grown on my in a strange way, at first i really hated it. now it is somehow oddly compelling.

Last edited by brad; 02-15-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Old 02-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
also, i will say the song has really grown on my in a strange way, at first i really hated it. now it is somehow oddly compelling.
that's exactly how i started to like it...and that took me uhhh...2 seconds?haha. LOVE THIS SONG
Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Post Standing by Tinkerbell

<i>Limelight</i> is not defeatist, but is desperate and darkly pessimistic, with the musical beat making it decidedly more anxiety-laden than <i>Idéaliser</i>.

I think it is supposed to reflect the promised album theme of the demise of Edie Sedgwick. But I nearly get the extremely unsettling feeling that the lyrics are almost a personal statement by Alizée about her own uneven odyssey as an artist in this strange new century, of which she, and not Edie, is the "child."

History notes that limelights were typically employed to highlight solo performers; they were the original spotlights. Recall that in staging <i>Peter Pan</i>, it is not infrequently the case that Tinkerbell is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Bell#In_original_play_and_novel">portrayed</a> by moving a spotlight. This perhaps make the passage in the lyrics "flight, night" more than just a metaphor!

This song is very thin musically - almost free verse poetry, with incidental music. Like much similar music, it reminds one of the mood music used in early video games. I suppose it is a reasonable overture to the tragic opera which is the subject of the album.

But what a contrast it is, in both spirit and form, to <i>J'ai Pas Vingt Ans!</i> Instead of a great adventure to be relished, the future is cast as a dark struggle to survive. <i>Limelight</i> definitely won't cut it as the "hold music" which the suicide prevention hotline uses!

I was drawn to Alizée because of the youthful, energetic optimism she projected in her earlier work. <i>Moi... Lolita</i> turned lemons into lemonade with a respite at the disco in town. And even if <i>Mademoiselle Juliette</i> was destined by William to perish, she still didn't let it spoil the party. I suppose it is possible that people in despair might find some camaraderie in listening to a song like <i>Limelight</i>, or that it would help character development as part of a musical play. It's just not a <big>single</big> I would pay for were it not sung by a beloved musical friend of mine.

Anything to hear your voice once again, dear Alizée; I have not forgotten how happy you could make me feel in a sad and crazy world...

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 02-17-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: expand
Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
here is my take on the lyrics from a quick listen ...
dream always, and always (or maybe all ways)

i dont know, where im going
looking for the limelight, bright

i cant recall, where i've been
in this long long flight, night

find a way and away

i dont know, if i should
burning waves of ecstasy, oui/wee

stares (or stairs maybe), lights, music, sweat, scares, fright, panic, fret threat
I have no idea what has went on for the past several days, so ignore this if there is already a general consensus on what the lyrics are.

The song is GREAT . I saw Brad's post and put everything that I agree with in bold. The only things that I'm not sure about (???):

1. In this long, long ___???___, night
2. Burning waves of ecstacy, ??? [oui, wee]
3. Stares, lights, music, sweat, scares, fright, panic, ??? [fret]

[] = best guesses