Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road
Default Tabs/chords for JEAM?

I started playing guitar about a year ago and I now I wanted to play along to JEAM. I found the correct tabs here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/..._intro_tab.htm

This is what the guitarist on the left is playing but I can't figure out the chords the guy on the right is playing. Can someone help me?

Also, might I suggest the possibility that they're faking it? They're strumming away as if they were hitting all six strings but the chords are to be played on three strings.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

If you want the whole song including the chords for the rest of the song just PM me I have it.

All you need is 1 Truck.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 PM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

Taken from the CD, the song is in Ab.
It is a I-VI-IV-V progression starting on the IV chord, or Db
The song is based on four counts per measure and starts Db/Eb/Ab/Fm and keeps repeating throughout the song.

It may be played in any key based on this information.
For example, if you wished to play the song in the key of E, it would be A/B/E/C#m/

Listen to the opening guitar and it keeps going just like that.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:24 PM
recovering alizée addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-4 View Post
Taken from the CD, the song is in Ab.
It is a I-VI-IV-V progression starting on the IV chord, or Db
The song is based on four counts per measure and starts Db/Eb/Ab/Fm and keeps repeating throughout the song.

It may be played in any key based on this information.
For example, if you wished to play the song in the key of E, it would be A/B/E/C#m/

Listen to the opening guitar and it keeps going just like that.
The chord progression is C D G Em (but maybe that's what you're saying, music theory is not my strong point). If you want to play it without a capo (like they do in her live performances) you have to play it the way it's described in the link (see above). But I can't figure out the chords the guy on the right is playing, it's different. Have a look at the video.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
The chord progression is C D G Em (but maybe that's what you're saying, music theory is not my strong point). If you want to play it without a capo (like they do in her live performances) you have to play it the way it's described in the link (see above). But I can't figure out the chords the guy on the right is playing, it's different. Have a look at the video.
As C-4 described, C D G Em is the same progression, but in the key of G. Playing these chords with a capo on the first fret will raise them up one semitone, thus putting you in the key of Ab.

I didn’t notice the other guitar player doing anything much different, but quite frankly, I find it very difficult to pay attention to him for very long with Alizée present, front and center...
Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

Dreamer,
Sorry if I confused you in any way. I just listen to the CD when I learn a song. However with this song, the chords just jump out to me. I've been playing for 53+ years and still play professionally, so I tend to hear certain chord changes as they happen.
The acoustic guitar may in fact be capoed, so the actual chord positions could be what one would use in the first position open.

As for the other player using different positions for the chords, you may wish to examine an in depth chord book. It is so easy to play any chord all over the fretboard in different fingering positions, but you have to know some theory and understand how chords fall over the scale positions on the neck to be able to understand what the other player is doing. With a trained ear, which comes after doing this for a few years, you will be able to just hear exactly what is going on.
It all comes down to practice.

Good luck with your practicing.

Last edited by C-4; 03-27-2009 at 06:06 AM..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool Chordially yours!

I couldn't tell the difference between a musical chord and a geometrical chord, but I've done a lot of editing of her videos and it's quite obvious that in some of her performances in which she lip syncs, the guitarists are just going along for the ride.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:54 PM
recovering alizée addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-4 View Post
As for the other player using different positions for the chords, you may wish to examine an in depth chord book. It is so easy to play any chord all over the fretboard in different fingering positions
That's what they're both doing since they play the song without a capo. But still the player on the left uses the fingering decribed in the tab (see the link in my first post) but the one on the right plays something different. Look closely (because he moves to the same positions but plays different chords). Maybe these are some kind of complimentary chords? Sorry for going on and on about this but I just want to find out!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Well, I watched 3 different JEAM videos and I keep having the same problem. At some point I forget why I’m watching and find myself just watching Alizée... Anyway, here are 2 more possibilities for fingering the same chords in the same positions. It’s possible the guitar player is using one or more of these variations. Of course there are other possibilities as well.

e --------------4----1----
B ----6----8----4----1----
G ----6----8----5----1----
D ----6----8----6----3----
A ----4----6----6----3----
E --------------4----1----
------Db---Eb---Ab---Fm

e --------------4----1----
B ----6----8----4----1----
G ----6----8----5----1----
D ----6----8----6----3----
A ----4----6----6----3----
E ------------------------
------Db---Eb---Ab---Fm

You mentioned something about them strumming all six strings. You can do that if you mute the strings that you don’t want to sound.

Like C-4 said, with practice you will begin to recognize common chord patterns, as well as identify the intervals between chords. Eventually you will be able to hear a new song on your car stereo, and in many cases, be able to play it when you get home. Keep listening and keep playing.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
recovering alizée addict

Thanks, lefty! I think you figured it out.

About the muting: That means you just put a finger on the string put you don't press it down, right?