View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 09:10 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

About the lyrics, I don't know if I should try to improve some that I've found here. I think most of them have been made with an online translator and it can't be any good that's sure! But it would be a huge pain in the ass for me since there are many many puns and many many French allusions that wouldn't work in English.

French allusion example in J'en Ai Marre:
J'en ai marre de ces cyniques,
Et dans les prés, les colchiques,

There's a children song in France that NOT ONE French child has missed and that is called "Colchiques dans les prés" ("Autumn crocus in the meadows"). Farmer obviously uses that song as a reference (she would hate that old tune now? ) and that would give in English: "In the meadows, (I'm fed up with) Autumn crocus"! Eh? why that when you don't know the old children song?

Now, translator mistakes example in Moi Lolita:

C'est pas ma faute à moi
Si j'entends tout autour de moi
Hello, helli, t'es A (L.O.L.I.T.A.)

giving this in your current translation:

It's not my own fault
If I hear everything around me
Hello, helli, you're A (L.O.L.I.T.A.)

1. A mistake that only a translator would do: "tout" in French (in the 2nd line) may mean either "all" or "everything" depending of the rest of the sentence and unfortunately the translator wrongly chose the latter. I'm sure this is not the same for you:
Correct: It's not my own fault if I hear all around me: "L" "O" "L" "I" "T" "A"
Wrong: It's not my own fault if I hear everything around me: "L" "O" "L" "I" "T" "A"

2. Second: inevitable of course! "Hello, helli, t'es A" is words assembled to simulate the spelling of "Lolita", but as the French spell those letters of course. So "you're A" sure won't do it, even in English . Could have been put: "Hello Hell Eye Tee A" instead (means nothing but the original line in French neither!)

And I've seen many other bits like that in other songs!