View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:02 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad
a lot of people think she is talking about 'Male Extremists' here (if you can see the obvious connection).
Not really (connection) but it may be me. Or is there a possible pun in English, impossible in French, this time?
I'm quite sure that the idea is only to laugh at some people that want to prove their (extreme) political ideas when they're just suckers...

Quote:
This is interesting ... looks like the translation I am using is WAAAAY off here.
You used:
"lead me on like hypocrites"
you probably just changed The Honorable's version a bit:
"Who lead me on hypocritically (4)"
He also added this comment in the forum:
(4) Idiomatic expression....ahhhh! Heh, heh...Did I get this right? I pulled that one out of my memories of French II from back in the days...

Sincerely, I fail to see the idiomatic expression he's talking about! Can't see the connection with hypocrisy...

Quote:
After looking at what you wrote, I actually think 'tricky' works here. I think the people that translated this song tried to take a lot of 'symbolism' out of the lyrics .. probably more than there should be. (like why they chose to use tricky here instead of snag)
Well, now that I think about it, maybe you/they found very good ways to get around French lyrics when they're impossible to translate similarly! I mean some English tricks that would escape to me because English is not my first language! Then maybe I just should shut up. Ha ha!
Can the "Getting there can be tricky" expression (or Honorable's "Getting there is tricky") be a good replacement for the unexpected little problem idea that I explained in my previous post?

Quote:
I wouldnt mind seeing your version of this song .. but like you said, I think most of these songs are literally impossible to translate.
Ouch, I haven't saved the text! Anyway, I made only a little bit...