View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garçoncanadien View Post
and you know Cooney, Mylène herself said that she derives great entertainment out of being vague. She enjoys being mysterious - that's why she writes vague French as well
Haha, it shows! It doesn't help us poor saps trying to understand it across languages, but it's cool, so I forgive her

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
Yes. I know some people may use "pour de bon" as "for real" as well but the real meaning is "for good".
Ok, so it DOES mean a sort of "forever" (éternellement)? Didn't see that one coming. If that's the meaning, I'll look in to a good translation.

Quote:
That's exactly the meaning of "courant d'air", but you'll have no possibility for a pun with "current" if you use draught or breeze
Ooh, interesting - very subtle. It kind of suggests that she sneaks in unexpected with her love, I like it. I'll change it to draught. If this were "A Contre Courant" I'd keep "current of air" to maintain the electrical reference, but as it is J'Ai Pas Vingt Ans, I'll make the switch.

Quote:
I forgot that line in ACC yesterday btw:
- "Of times that bar us,": "se barrer" means "partir" in slang. My dictionary says "to clear off"
Actually, looking more closely, my dictionary has that as well. The meaning of "times that bar us" would be times that keep the two people apart from each other, but that lacks some of the force of that slang usage. How about "times that split us apart?" My dictionary provided "to split" as a part of the same slang usage as "to clear off."

I'm guessing this is the same usage of "barre" that we find in C'Est Trop Tard, where she she says "Je me barre!" It basically means she's leaving him, and ending their relationship? That would make more sense than what I had tenatively had there.