View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

I don't really like to try to translate Mylène Farmer's lyrics since she uses lots of wordplays and puns that are obviously impossible in English or other languages. Not only that, lots of her original lyrics are vague even for French people. As a result, it often just means nothing and you can wonder if she wouldn't be writing whatever passes in her head sometimes, leaving just nonsense stuff. Second result, lots of French will tell you that they are just stupid and dumb... I for one am still hesitating since I know very little of her lyrics but I would tend to wonder too .

Anyway, I just took a look at your translations and here are some tips:

J'en ai marre:
- "And soon, the crocuses": see my explanations for this line in the link in my previous post.

A Contre Courant:
- "Everything upside-down": I think the lyrics are "Tête à l'envers", not "Tout à l'envers"
- "From the lines of little things": original lyrics literally means: "Processions of fingers". Did you drop this for another metaphor in English?
- "Of times that bar us, times the seperate us,": isn't it that separate us?
- "Return to Earth": original lyrics is "Reviens sur terre". The "s" indicates it's imperative mode -> literally: "Come back on earth"
- After each "Mets-moi au courant" line, the next line starts with "Que je....": "que" leads to subjonctive. It means "Keep me informed so I imagine" (or "so I divine" or "so I consider", etc...). Maybe it's best in English with "can", like: "so I can imagine"? Don't know...
- "Rediscover meaning In the life" sounds weird. the original literally means: "Rediscovering the meaning of life"
- Some lines later, "Retrouver les sens" could either mean "Rediscover the meaning" or "the senses" or "directions"
- "And for the best": "pour de bon" means "for good"

J'ai pas vingt ans:
- "Rather a current of air": "Courant d'air" means "draught"
- I want more than an: "I attach,"....: "S'attacher (à quelqu'un)" means to become or grow fond of or attached to someone.
- your (6) point: I don't know the expression "have it in for" and it's probably the right translation. If it can help, my dictionary gives me this: "je l'attends au tournant [familier] (sens figuré), I'll get even with him/her"

Last edited by aFrenchie; 10-26-2006 at 07:31 PM..