Thread: Fifty-sixty
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyamigo View Post
i didn't say the song wasn't about her. it might be her they are talking about in those lines, but they mention of other characters too. not everything in the song points specifically to edie so that's why i said that the song covers more of warhol's universe. when they talk about nico and lou reed, they aren't talking about edie. they also talk about velvet underground which edie wasn't part of.
The stanza that references the Velvet Underground can be interpreted to mean that Edie turned her attention to the band, and Nico objected. Edie did reportedly argue with Warhol about him not including her in the band; that being one of the reasons she left The Factory in Feb 1966. The stanza following that involving the yellow taxi could be a reference to her leaving.

There are references to the changing music scene and other things about the times throughout the song. I see these references as establishing the time frame through which Edie moved. Andy, Nico and Lou Reed are mentioned, but it seems only in terms of how Edie relates to them.