View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 05:44 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsluver41 View Post
The revolution begins! If we just give it time, chances are, this will work out. Here's my theory: some of Alizée's allure comes from the "mystery" one perceives upon first discovering her. Most of us saw her first on youtube, and if I'm not mistaken, the fact that she was this French girl who had stunning foreign looks and sang in a different language (far more beautiful than English) contributed to the urge to find out more about her. In other words, the fact that she was so distant culturally was a major drawing factor. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I feel that "discovering" Alizée is what leads to one becoming her fan.

I think that's why its so difficult to get your friends and family to feel the way you do about her - the process of discovery must be self-instigated. It's like if someone tells you a painting is beautiful and then shows you the painting, pointing out every detail that makes it beautiful to him. If instead you are able to see the painting yourself and think entirely your own thoughts rather than those someone else has placed in your mind, you might find it beautiful for your own reasons.

Anyway, I am just rambling now, so time to wrap up. I think leaving little business cards and posters everywhere is a very good idea, because its not like you're shoving her music and persona down everyone's throat (as I'm guilty of doing on many accounts with my friends), but rather retain some of that "mystery" that I think is very important for conversion.

Wow, what began as a mere two sentence post evolved spontaneously into a great, rambling, sprawling mess in which I compared Lili to a painting . I have only myself to blame.
Yes, I think you might be right about that. All the French know Alizee at least after some reminding, but like with a guy last night who was pretty amazed that I was such a fan and coming from so far away, he just thought of Moi... Lolita and what had been a huge buzz in France. I explained that we didn't get any of that here and didn't associate Alizée with having a bunch of little girls as fans. So, it was different for me.

Also, not understanding what she was saying, one much search that out. That leads one to sights like this where everyone loves Alizée and wants to discuss in detail the meanings of her songs and such (or at least when I came around). So, the fan community is also what made me such a fan. I didn't go buy her albums, very expensive compared to American music, the first week I found her. And, if she had made her come back and had a concert within the first few months, I doubt I would have gone. But within several months after that time I was ready to go to a concert under any circumstances and even get a tattoo of Alizée. After seeing the collection of Cooney, I wanted to buy every new bit of merchandise put out, and pretty much have, not that there's been much really, but between the French stuff, magazines, and foreign magazines, it's over a hundred items (and then there's the older stuff).

So, great fans maybe have to feel like they are taking it upon themselves to do this thing, but must also be built. Of course, any kind of adoring fan is all we want here and lots of them.

Finally, I think the examples you guys are setting are really going to be what gets a lot of people going. It's not that hard yet. It's just that people didn't know where the "bar" was.

Merci Fanny